Sunday, February 14, 2010

The curious case of HP\Compaq Laptops & their Drivers

Just a few hours back I completed a mission which since the last few days was turning out to be a lost cause.
A dear friend of mine has a Compaq (owned by HP) laptop which did not come with any OS installed. He got Windows XP installed on it & started facing the problem of the hardware drivers not working. When I got an opportunity to try fixing this problem, I realized how big a cheat HP is.
It seems like every laptop model of HP is designed for a specific OS. It turns out this one was designed for Vista. The term "Designed for Vista" simply means HP gives driver support only for Vista OS. They don't have any drivers that's work for XP, and neither do they care to provide any. Lazy asses. Its left to the internal hardware manufacturers to have pity on the HP laptop owners & provide them with drivers.
Bottom-line:
  • Every HP/Compaq laptop user has to actually google for every single driver needed to make the laptop running & then break his head over the sequence of driver installations.
  • I had to format the laptop twice to get the sequence running. :-(
  • Still the WiFi driver is not working :-(

To all those poor chaps who are facing such problems, contact me & may be able to give you the proper instructions on how to get around this problem.

2 comments:

Pappul said...

all I can say is ... Thanx mate for fixing the problem ... :)

Unknown said...

Nice What I required I got it. Thank you so much.
Bright Computers